Monday, February 25, 2013

Murphy is Slacking

On Friday our cub scouts got the opportunity to do the flag ceremony for an Eagle Court of Honor.

While doing my research I learned A LOT about flag ceremonies.  For instance, the color guard isn't supposed to salute, say the Pledge of Allegiance, or sing the national anthem.  That is because it is their duty to guard the flag, and nothing else.

Sadly, only 2 of our cub scouts would be able to make it, and you technically need at least three.

This is when an odd-but-fortunate set of events began to take place.


Do you know Murphy's Law?  It says, "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong."

My mother would always mention it.  Usually it was while my father and her were trying to get out the door to go to the temple.  
Temple recommends went suddenly missing
Cars stopped working
Babysitters couldn't make it
Electricity went out
Children became sick...

Well, on Friday, Murphy must have been slacking...  Seriously slacking...  Or busy bugging someone more important... (Maybe concentrating on bringing in the snow storm...)

Friday morning I was talking to my mom.  She mentioned that her ward temple night was that night.  She was sad they wouldn't be able to go because they didn't have care for Dallin. 

I suddenly realized the remote possibility of having a 3rd cub scout for the flag ceremony.  Aaron is exactly the same age as our cub scouts.  In fact, he just received his wolf, and is now working on his bear.  It was just crazy that the one night of the month when I might get to watch Aaron coincided with the night our cubs were doing the flag ceremony.

My mom mentioned that Dallin's morning helper was late... supposed to be there at 8... it's now 8:30... (Turns out the helper thought he was supposed to be there at 10).

I told her about my cub scout conundrum, and how we would LOVE to watch Aaron if they're able to make it to the temple, but he needs to bring his scout shirt. haha. (my mom knows I was teasing)

Now, just for a second, you might be confused, so lets go off topic.  Aaron and Dallin are both my brothers.  I would love to watch them both.  However, Dallin has Muscular Dystrophy and is confined to a wheelchair.  In order for him to go places, my parents have to use their wheel-chair accessible van.   This van uses about 4 times the gas of any normal vehicle (maybe I'm exaggerating, but you get my point, it's expensive to drive long distances in it, and my parents live an hour away from me, and even further from the closest temple.)  My family is able to get a helper to come in and transfer/spend time with/help Dallin, and this is usually the only time when both my parents can leave the house at the same time, but when they do, they have to find someone else to watch Aaron if they want to have a date.

So, since Dallin's helper was now almost an hour late, my mom called the service, and asked if his helper could come that night instead...  Which he could!

So, through an odd set of coincidences, which I was previously convinced only happen in books, my parents got to go to their ward temple night, and our scouts had 3 boys for the flag ceremony!  Which, can I say, they rocked.  The scout in our troop who called out the orders MEMORIZED the commands!  They each did so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment