Friday, February 15, 2013

One Billion Rising

Yesterday I was privileged to take part in an event that happened all over the world.  Women, and the men who love them, coming together to call for an end to violence against women.  Stop the rape and the rape culture, end female circumcision and human trafficking, and end domestic abuse in all forms.

My dear friend Bridget is part of Sheros United.  This organization came together to give the women of Utah a chance to participate (and advocate for some current Utah legislation).

There were two events, one at noon and one at three.  Since I get off at three now, I was planning on going to the later one.  However, around 9am my neck started hurting, and by 11am the resulting headache was unmanageable.  I got off work and started for home, seriously disappointed that I wouldn't be able to participate. 

Then I remembered about the one at noon.

I tried to talk myself out of going (after all, my headache was so chaotic I hadn't been getting anything done at work).  However, ultimately, I decided I would just go to show my support.
So I turned the car around and went to the noon event, and I'm so glad I did.  The one thing I regret is that I didn't bring any other women with me.

Thanks to One Billion Rising: http://onebillionrising.org/

Thank you to Sheros United: http://www.sheroesunited.org/

And thanks to KSL and all the news agencies who covered it:  http://www.ksl.com/?sid=24083761&nid=148&title=utah-flash-mobs-protest-violence-against-women&fm=home_page&s_cid=queue-8

No comments:

Post a Comment