Thursday, August 15, 2013

Femme Doctor

I shall now show you all my inner geek.  You're welcome.  haha.

As soon as James gave me a sonic screwdriver for my birthday, I knew I was going to cosplay as The Doctor at SLC Comic Con.

I really didn't think about why I had chosen The Doctor, instead of the wide array of female characters I could have chosen from.  I focused more on which doctor I would be.  My first inclination would be the 4th doctor, since he is so iconic, and because... my hair can totally do that... with ease...
However, a few things held me back... 
A. That scarf is freaking long, and would take me an eternity to crochet/knit (though I will definitely make it at some point). 
David Tennant, warning us about the Weeping Angels
B. MY sonic screwdriver is the most recent version (owned by the 10th/11th doctors). 
C. The 10th doctor is my favorite.  
D. My glasses look A LOT like the 10th doctor's glasses, and it would be awesome to be able to wear my glasses and have them fit perfectly with my cosplay.   SO I decided on the 10th doctor.


I NEED THAT COAT.  Sure, I could do the cosplay without it... but WHY WOULD I WANT TO DO THAT?!!?!  So... anyone have a butt-ugly brown overcoat/duster that is maybe even double-breasted?  I could order the "Official BBC version" but that is $360 - in the words of internet gifs/memes "aint nobody got money for that."  In case I can't find one, I've been keeping my eye out for similarly shaded wool blankets @ second hand stores, and I'll just make it.



So, next topic... Since I've started doing my research, I've realized that this 'Femme Doctor' is a thing... and not just a thing... a feminist thing...  This is a pretty good article about it http://io9.com/5887847/gender+swapped-doctors-are-our-new-favorite-form-of-doctor-who
TIME LADIES - aka - Female renditions of The Doctor's regenerations
The current doctor is played by Matt Smith, who had made it clear that he is in favor of the next doctor being a woman.  Well, we now know that the next doctor will be played by Peter Capaldi, and I am very psyched about that.  I'm definitely not bemoaning that he is old, or another white male.  I look at him and think, he IS the doctor.

However, I'm still not dressing up as River Song, or the TARDIS (though they are both perfectly awesome things to cosplay as.)  I chose a male character, and didn't even think about it.  Is it because I see so much of myself in the doctor (especially the 10th doctor), that I didn't think about the little issue of gender?  Or is it because I commonly think of The Doctor as a... nonsexual?... like Sheldon.  haha

No comments:

Post a Comment